Retainers restrict tooth movement and help keep those pearly whites where they were at the time the retainer was made. Remember the three NEVER-EVERs and one ALWAYS of retainer care:
- NEVER leave it out where a pet can get it. Dogs LOVE these smelly, chew toys. Believe me, they will find it and destroy it Liam Neeson “Taken” style.
- NEVER wrap it in a napkin to store it. If it ain’t in your face, it goes in the case. This limits the chance of throwing it away.
- NEVER subject it to heat. I know you want to disinfect it, but don’t boil it, microwave it, put it in the dishwasher, or leave it in a hot car on a sunny summer day. It will warp.
- ALWAYS BRING YOUR RETAINER TO YOUR RETAINER CHECK APPOINTMENT. It’s a bit hard to check the retainer without it. Funny how often these get left behind.
There are many ways to retain teeth–each coming with its own risks and benefits, longevity/durability, adjustability, and wear/care protocol. Dr. Mongillo is happy to help guide you in which retainer type may be best suited to your needs and lifestyle. Types of retainers include:
- Removable: Clear plastic, Traditional Hawley (wire), Occlusal guards
- Bonded: Lower canine-to-canine, Upper.